Volunteering and Joining as an Adult
How can I join?
Volunteering with us is great fun and hugely rewarding! There are loads of ways to get involved with the Group, some of the common ones are listed below but this isn’t an exhaustive list – if you want to get involved, please talk to us:
- join our leadership team and help us run one of our sections; if you don’t want to become a full leader, you can join us as a Section Assistant or Occasional Helper.
- come and share a skill or interest with one of the sections – don’t worry, we can help you plan and run the session!
- join our Group Executive, this is the team who help manage the group and make sure the section leaders have the resources and support they need.
- help organise a one-off event, it could be sorting out the rota for a bag pack, or a bigger fund-raiser.
- help us with promotional news e.g. keep the website up to date, or publicise our adventures in the local media.
- help our Quartermaster maintain the equipment in the stores.
If you’ve got a special skill or interest that you’d like to use or share, please talk to us – we won’t say no!
I want to help, what do I need to do?
Speak to your young person’s leader or the Group Scout Leader. We’ll discuss the different opportunities and find a role that fits your knowledge and skills or, gives you a chance to develop new skills – as well as helping us!
All adults have to complete a Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Disclosure Check (see the Safety & child protection FAQs). Depending on your role, there may be additional training requirements – we’ll explain this when we talk about what role you want to do.
If you do need to do training for your role, don’t worry – there are lots of different ways you can complete the training to fit around your other commitments. You’ll have lots support, and the other adults in the Group and District are always willing to help.
I wasn't a Scout - can I become a leader?
Yes, in fact, not all of our leaders were Scouts themselves. There’s a full training programme that will teach you a lot of the basics and some of our more experienced leaders are always happy to share their skills and knowledge.
I’d like to help but I’m not sure how much time I can give. Can I still be involved?
Absolutely,we’re grateful for any time you give us and we’d love to have you as part of the team. Several of our existing leaders and adult volunteers use flexible volunteering to support Scouting around work, family and other commitments so you’re not alone!
There are loads of ways to help us – please speak to any leader and we’ll find a role that suits you.